What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Toyota Corolla (1997 - 2002)

reviewed by Anonymous on 11 April 2019

Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Mostly reliable and trouble free motoring

I bought my Corolla for £700 with 92,000 miles on the clock so I had no great expectations. The car is good to drive but the seats I find a little uncomfortable. The car is as unexciting as a washing machine but the only faults so far (18 months in) have been
-One of the wiper blade linkages fell apart; apparently a common problem with this type of Corolla
-The heater blower will only work on maximum setting; I replugged the resistor pack connector and it worked ok for a while but playing up again.
-The oil cooler rigid (steel) pipe corroded right through, causing a big oil leak, until I spotted it and bypassed the oil cooler.
-The start contact in the key switch has burnt out so I have duplicated the 12v feed to the starter (rather than shelling out £90 for a new key switch from Toyota) So I now have a start button.
Some things about the car are truly great, such as the fact that if the cam belt fails, the 1.6 engine suffers no damage; the pistons clear the valves.
And that's about it. I would recommend this car as a cheap to run, reliable runabout as long as car image and desireability are not important.

Report as offensive