Which products have made it into the Honest John Kit gift guides for Christmas 2019? You'll be surprised... | No thanks

Citroen Xsara (1997 - 2004)

reviewed by cagga on 11 September 2012

Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Comfortable cruiser and economical but with reliability issues

Buy with caution. There are many reviews across the web on the Xsara range. Some people have a great time others have the Friday afternoon model - too many of those it seems escaped to the UK!

I like to think of mine as a mid week model. Not bad but with some reliability issues. Bought in Sept 2008, one previous owner and only 28k on the clock (genuine). At first it seemed a little sluggish and lacking in torque compared to my then other car a TDI 90 Polo estate. It didn't change until one night 4 months later I had my foot hard down in third when there was a muffled bang from the engine followed by a dreadful rattling sound and the engine management warning light came on. The car seemd OK, I was near to home and sure enought next day it was fine. I say fine thats another point - it has always taken several revolutions of the engine to fire up - on a cold winters morning it fires on less than 4 cylinders and emits clouds of unburnt fuel before settling down as the remaining cylinders/s kick in.

I have explored the reason for the managment light coming on via my mechanic, a Citroen main dealer and two fuel injection specialists. No one knows the answer and still the light comes on from time to time and always the same P0235 fault code. It relates to turbo boost pressure but short of pulling out the turbo to check it everything else related to the provision of boost has been covered.

The car has completely broken down at the side of the road (A14 on both occasions) and I have been lifted home. First timewas seized front wheel bearing (unheard of I'm told) and more seriously a few months ago the ECU failed - luckily it ws repairable and back on the car a week later - cost £358. A new ECU is £709 +VAT + main dealer charge to reconfigure the car key. Since then the light has come on twice and the P0235 fault code read and reset oh and on arriving at work one moning two weeks ago a puddle of liquid was forming under the front of the car - it was diesel- I had sprung a leak!! luckily it was not serious just the fuel pipe adrift on the fuel filter. It self clips and obviously unclips. Why it happened I do not know. The fuel filter had ben replaced 4500 miles earlier. If you want take a chance on a Citoren Xsara don't be put off - I've paid the experts close to £900 in total above normal running costs. However I cannot trust the car so yesterday I found its replacement a Suzuki Ignis Sport - I'm gonna have me some fun and hopefully enjoy 100% reliability.

Report as offensive