My daughter is returning to the UK after 20 years - do you have any advice on insuring her new car?

My daughter, an expat for 20 years, will return to the UK this year from Hong Kong. She holds a full license but hasn't driven for 10 years. I've told her to take lessons again and on return to to the UK she wants to buy a MINI Clubman auto. Do you have any advice or a specialist insurance company you could recommend?

Asked on 17 July 2017 by Mr Griff

Answered by Tim Kelly
Firstly, even though she had a full licence, check with DVSA to see if it is still current. You may find it is not. I would suggest taking lessons over here, taking them in Hong Kong is pointless as their traffic law, roadmarkings, rights of way are different. Your daughter will be seen as a new driver without and NCD, so I would suggest she obtains quotes prior to buying the car, as she may be in for a shock. It may be better to put her on your insurance on your car for a year as a named driver, then the insurer can see she has experience again.
Similar questions
I recently leased a second car and own a 2010 Hyundai i30 outright. I would like to give the i30 to my wife, but she only has a provisional licence. Should I retain both cars and simply add her to the...
I was recently involved in an accident, with minor damage to both vehicles. As the car I bumped was in front of me, going round a big roundabout (French driver was lost and suddenly stopped in the traffic),...
I contacted my insurers to inquire about getting some vandalism repaired on my Range Rover, but it turned out the excess on my policy (which also has protected NCB) was more than the cost of repairs so...
Related models
Now a proper estate with two rear doors. More upmarket interior than standard MINI hatch. Good sized boot has plenty of room for a pushchair. One D is very economical. The best MINI in the range.

Ask Honest John

Value my car