What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch (2005 - 2011)

reviewed by Anonymous on 29 November 2015

Overall rating
How it drives
Fuel economy
Tax/Insurance/Warranty costs
Cost of maintenance and repairs
Experience at the dealership
How practical it is
How you rate the manufacturer
Overall reliability

Easy rider, enough power, simple to drive - all you could want really

It is very stable, has enough power for everyday driving (and Sport mode for extra), is easy to drive and feels solid and safe.

I needed a reliable run around with warranty and Network Q gave me this. It came off Motability with 20k on the clock at 3 years old and that suited me fine. 2 years extended Network Q warranty sees me fine through the next winter and beyond and gives me the best hope for trouble free motoring.

Auto box is 4 speed, which could be better but is totally adequate and much better than many. Should have more spec at Design level than it has (missing auto fold in mirrors, no trip computer, a couple of switches do nothing and there is on overhead bin). Seriously missing places to put things such as a can of coke despite there seemingly being enough room.

Driving position is quite good, seats fine (half leather) but the tunnel does cut into the room where your left foot should rest a little. Not much but noticeable after my previous Isuzu.

Rear vision is a little poor but overall vision is way better than the new Astra, which is terrible. The slightly "pointy" front does require care or you can scrape it but easily mastered.

No mechanical grumbles but then I don't expect any with 20k on the clock. Might change the rubber for Uniroyal Rainsport 2 before next winter.

As for fuel economy, well I get around 30 mpg, perhaps a little over. That is largely due to it being a school run car with nearly every journey being 3 miles, starting from cold. I guess out on a run it would do significantly better but I wouldn't trade the convenience of the nice easy auto for a manual.

I'm happy, can't see a better deal and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a similar well priced car.

Report as offensive