My write off value won't get me an equivalent vehicle - can I sue the other party's insurer for the difference?

My insurers have written off my car, but the amount offered won't cover the cost of an equivalent vehicle. Can I sue the third party for the difference (£2000) because they have admitted the accident was their fault.

Asked on 9 May 2018 by John B

Answered by Honest John
You need to dispute the value with your insurer because you cannot sue for the difference. If your insurer is not providing the correct value, then they are breaching ICOBS 8.3.3 FCA regulations by acting in conflict to your interest. You can always cancel your claim with your insurer and claim via a solicitor or claims management company, then sue the at fault insurer directly.
Similar questions
A driver recently pulled out from behind a parked car and hit my 2004 Audi A8 quattro. I've been offered £3400 as an uneconomical repair. My insurance is with Elephant UK and theirs is with Diamond, which...
Someone reversed into my car from a car park space as I was driving along and crashed into the side of my car. My insurance company have said it is a write off and that my finance company won’t accept...
On what basis does an insurance company calculate the payout figure of a write-off? If it decides to write off my badly accident-damaged car but I think the figure is too low, what are my options?