Can I insure a car in my name but register it to someone else?

I've just bought a car, but can't have it in my name at the moment because I'm finalising my divorce and both parties have debts outstanding. These debts will be all cleared when our divorce is finalised in January. Can I register the car in a family member's name and will it effect their own insurance if I have an accident? Will this also affect my car insurance? Will I be responsible for any parking tickets and offences if I'm the main driver?

Asked on 4 December 2017 by Hayley Cox

Answered by Honest John
Interesting situation. Yes, you can have the vehicle registered in someone else's name whilst having it insured in your name. You could not have them insure it for you as well though, as they would not be the main driver. To put you on as named driver would then be "fronting", which is fraud. If the details on the V5 registration document are another family member, any traffic offences or parking fines would get sent to them.
Similar questions
I own two vintage cars, due to advancing age I plan to transfer ownership to my 36 year old son.The cars will be kept on my premises and insured by me as main driver so that I can drive and son as named...
A debt recovery company sent a letter to me, which claimed that I owed them money on a Hastings policy. After I contacted Hastings, it transpired that I was the policyholder of an unknown vehicle with...
I co-own a house and have recently bought another in a different part of the country. During a year I guess I will be spending more time at the new house although that might not necessarily be the case....

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer