Can my son take ownership of my car while I remain the insurance policyholder?

I own two vintage cars, due to advancing age I plan to transfer ownership to my 36 year old son.The cars will be kept on my premises and insured by me as main driver so that I can drive and son as named driver.
My question is can you have one person as owner and a different person as insurer?

Asked on 17 April 2024 by M GIBSON

Answered by David Ross
Most insurers will have no issues with the policyholder not being the owner of the vehicle, but it is important to differentiate between the owner and the registered keeper. Providing a receipt to your son is sufficient to transfer ownership, but making him the registered keeper will require the details on the V5/C to be changed. It may also be beneficial in terms of your insurance premium if the address of the registered keeper and where the vehicle is kept are the same.
Similar questions
I've just bought a car, but can't have it in my name at the moment because I'm finalising my divorce and both parties have debts outstanding. These debts will be all cleared when our divorce is finalised...
A debt recovery company sent a letter to me, which claimed that I owed them money on a Hastings policy. After I contacted Hastings, it transpired that I was the policyholder of an unknown vehicle with...
I co-own a house and have recently bought another in a different part of the country. During a year I guess I will be spending more time at the new house although that might not necessarily be the case....

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer