Why do motoring websites promote diesel autos despite the bad press over diesel?

Car manufacturers are continuing to manufacture diesel cars despite all the adverse publicity about diesel. Nearly all motoring websites continue to recommend diesel as the best buy in versions of automatic, MPV/SUV and crossover types. Why is this? Most of these types of vehicles also have a very harsh ride and yet this is often overlooked in reviews. The petrol automatic Honda CR-V is comfortable but the mpg is terrible. Can you recommend an alternative?

Asked on 11 August 2017 by N Allen

It's because the torque characteristics and the amount of torque of diesel engines are more suited to MPVs and SUVs, especially those used for towing. Harsh ride is normally caused by inappropriately big wheels and ludicrously low profile tyres that are regarded by idiots as 'fashionable'. The optimum for this type of vehicle is 55-60 profile and you should not go below 50 profile. You're right, the petrol CR-V feels underpowered and the gearbox hunts between gears. One solution might be a Toyota RAV4 hybrid 4x4, but it's not the nicest thing to drive. Worth checking out the Suzuki Vitara S 1.4T Boosterjet 6-speed auto.