Should I get diesel, petrol or hybrid for my next car?

I currently own a 2015 Renault Kadjar 1.5 diesel. We bought the car due to its ability to carry large loads, comfort on long journeys and fuel economy. It's been brilliant. I'm now considering changing it as I no longer need a car of this size. Do I buy diesel, petrol or hybrid though? My requirements are comfort on motorways, quiet inside the car, good fuel economy and a full size spare wheel. What do you suggest?

Unless you regularly do 20,000 miles a year, or need to tow something, or carry heavy loads or carry seven people, don't buy a diesel. Get a small turbo petrol or a hybrid. Generally, Peugeot/Citroen 1.2 Puretech are the best because they combine power, torque, fuel economy and (so far) excellent reliability. Puretech 130 best; Puretech 100 next best. All do about 50mpg, but automatics 5 - 10mpg less.