Is it legal to lend someone my car and insure them as a named driver on my policy?

My father has recently returned to live in the UK after eight years living and driving in Spain. He will need a car for UK use when movement restrictions are eased and I am considering letting him have mine on long-term loan - which I own but do not need. He does not have any no-claims discount available to him in the UK so insurance is likely to be quite costly for an 80 year old. Also, he lives more than 100 miles from me. What would be the most sensible way to "lend" him my car? Transfer ownership to him so that he is responsible for all ownership and running costs or just add him to my insurance policy as a named driver and let him pay the insurance premiums? The main problem as I see it is that the car will not be kept where it is registered or insured so that could create problems for me if he has an accident or a speeding offence. I could register the car under my name at his address but I do not think that is strictly legal. What would you suggest is the best way forward?

Asked on 27 April 2020 by MAB

Answered by Tim Kelly
It would have to be your father insuring the vehicle. Him being on your policy would be fronting.
Similar questions
My son bought a car in 2017 and I insured it in my name with two named drivers on the policy - myself as the main driver my partner and son as named drivers. Since then he has had two accidents which...
I am a named driver on my wife's insurance. Her car is parked on our driveway overnight and that is stated on her insurance policy. Also named drivers are my son and his wife who live elsewhere around...
If I were to die in the middle of the night in a hospital, would my wife remain legally covered by my insurance to drive the car home, as a named additional driver? Or would she have to leave the car in...


Value my car