My car was written off as a Cat N - do I have to get it re-tested for an MoT?

I know insurers require a new MoT for a vehicle that was a Cat N write off. They have given me 14 days to obtain one but is it a legal requirement? Could I still drive on the existing MoT? Also if it fails the MoT on the two points I know about, could I still drive while I get it repaired?

Asked on 5 August 2019 by Dale Poynter

There is no legal requirement to have the vehicle re-MoT'd. The reason why the insurer asks for you to have the vehicle re-tested is to make sure it is roadworthy. If the vehicle fails its MoT then it is no longer roadworthy and it would not be insured. Get the car repaired first, then MoT it.