My car was written off as a Cat N - do I have to get it re-tested for an MoT?

I know insurers require a new MoT for a vehicle that was a Cat N write off. They have given me 14 days to obtain one but is it a legal requirement? Could I still drive on the existing MoT? Also if it fails the MoT on the two points I know about, could I still drive while I get it repaired?

Asked on 5 August 2019 by Dale Poynter

Answered by Honest John
There is no legal requirement to have the vehicle re-MoT'd. The reason why the insurer asks for you to have the vehicle re-tested is to make sure it is roadworthy. If the vehicle fails its MoT then it is no longer roadworthy and it would not be insured. Get the car repaired first, then MoT it.
Similar questions
My car was damaged by another driver and they have admitted fault. I have been to the garage and they advise that the car is likely to be written off because of the cost of the repair (it is likely category...
Our insurer has deemed our car beyond repair and put a Cat N write off on the car. We can buy back the car - it only needs a front door and a small bit of bodywork - but what do I do next once they have...
Is insuring a Cat N vehicle more expensive and if so so by what percentage? My vehicle was hit from behind at low speed (about 10mph) with very little damage sustained. It has been deemed a Cat N write...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer