What can you save on today? HJ Kit uncovers BIG deals on dash cams, sat navs & more | No thanks

Is a Category N write off safe to buy?

I just discovered category N write offs, which are cars that have no structural damage. Why would it get written off if only the body work needed attention? Is it okay to buy a Cat N car?

A vehicle does not need to have structural damage to be a total loss, a vehicle is only ever a total loss when repair costs exceed the market value. For example, older cars tend to get written off with minor damage because even low repair costs can exceed the value of an older car. Always get any previous total loss vehicle inspected as it may have had low level water ingress. Even though Cat N cars have sustained non-structural damage, the accident damage may not have been repaired (or it could have been repaired poorly). I would want a substantial discount if purchasing any previous total loss vehicle.