Is there a way to find out why a car was written off?

I'm interested in a Cat N (listed as Cat D) vehicle and wanted to know if there is any way to find out the details of how the car was damaged. The garage selling it are telling me it was just external paint damage, however, I would like to be sure before I buy it.

Asked on 23 April 2018 by Lauren

No, there is not. If you are looking to buy it, have the vehicle inspected by an Independent Engineering Assessor (www.iaea-online.org). They will be able to tell what has been repaired. Unless the car is massively discounted and you have someone inspecting it who knows what they are doing, walk away. Always buy the best you can afford.