My car has been written off but I want to get it repaired - where do I stand?

My car was damaged by another driver and they have admitted fault. I have been to the garage and they advise that the car is likely to be written off because of the cost of the repair (it is likely category N). I do not want to have the car written off because it will be costly to get another car. What is the best way to try and retain and repair the car at the cost of the insurance? Should I go through Accident Management Company, claim directly against their insurance or another approach?

Asked on 2 October 2023 by Nikin Patel

Answered by Craig Cheetham
First and foremost, if you want to retain your car then do not under any circumstances let the insurance company or their representative take it away. Even if you make a claim against their insurer, you have a right to retain the salvage and should ask for this to be considered as part of your settlement. As your car is likely to be Cat N (which means the damage is non-structural) there is no reason why it can't be repaired safely, but the marker will remain with the car for life and it will be worth less than an uncategorised car.
Similar questions
I know insurers require a new MoT for a vehicle that was a Cat N write off. They have given me 14 days to obtain one but is it a legal requirement? Could I still drive on the existing MoT? Also if it fails...
Our insurer has deemed our car beyond repair and put a Cat N write off on the car. We can buy back the car - it only needs a front door and a small bit of bodywork - but what do I do next once they have...
Is insuring a Cat N vehicle more expensive and if so so by what percentage? My vehicle was hit from behind at low speed (about 10mph) with very little damage sustained. It has been deemed a Cat N write...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer