Repairing my car has been deemed uneconomical - can I seek a second opinion?

After an accident, my garage says the necessary repair is not economical. It is an old car but so useful to me. Should I seek a second opinion?

Asked on 18 February 2019 by Plum Butler

Are you paying for the repair yourself or is it an insurance claim? If the repair costs are less than the market value, then your car is repairable, if they are more, then it is a total loss. If the repair cost are less, you can insist on the vehicle being repaired. Alternatively, you could ask if they would be happy to use second-hand parts to make it a viable repairable proposition.