Should I give my documents to an accident claim management company prior to being paid?

An accident management company have my write off. The third-party insurers have accepted liability and have agreed to pay me its market value. The management company are refusing to tell me where my car is being stored and are demanding the full V5C/3 with parts 8 and 9 signed, the latest MoT certificate and spare key by registered post before forwarding my cheque. I am aware by law I need to inform the DVLA myself of the total loss. I have no written proof or a copy of the inspection. I am nervous that once the management company have my documents that there could be a problem with my settlement.

Asked on 21 January 2019 by Laura

Answered by Tim Kelly
Request from the Accident Management company the copy of the Engineers report. Advise that you will report them to the claims management regulator if they do not advise of where your vehicle is, and that you will contact the police and inform them that your vehicle is being held without your consent. This should make them tell you where the vehicle is. You can mark on your V5C Section 9 that the vehicle has been declared a total loss. Is the claims management company reputable? You can ask for the at fault insurer to send payment for the vehicle directly to you, getting over the issue you have.
Similar questions
My car was damaged recently. I contacted my insurance and they gave me two options: claim through them and I would have to pay my excess or go through a claims management company that they deal with at...
I had an accident last year, which wasn't my fault. As I don't have legal cover, I used a claim management company, who arranged a hire car. The claim has been paid out but the third party's insurer is...
You don't advise using a claims management company if there's any potential for dispute after an accident. Why is that? What should one use when there is a dispute over liability?


Value my car