What kind of chemistry do you have with your car? Love it? Loathe it? Let us know and you could win a £300 John Lewis voucher | No thanks

Drivers no longer required to show insurance certificate to get road tax

Published 16 December 2013

Drivers will no longer need to show their insurance certificate when taxing a vehicle, under DVLA rule changes that come into force today.

Instead, the DVLA will use a central database to check a vehicle's insurance status and send an automatic reminder letter to owners of uninsured vehicles. Drivers who choose to ignore the reminders will receive a fixed penalty notice of £100, followed by enforcement action – wheelclamping, impounding - and ultimately prosecution by the courts, with a maximum fine of £1000.

If a motorists is found to be driving without insurance by the police then a fixed penalty of £200 plus six penalty points will be issued. If the case is deemed serious enough for court action, then the maximum fine increases to £5000, with the possibility of disqualification and a mandatory endorsement of between six and eight penalty points

The DVLA changes – which will also see the scrapping of the paper tax disc – have been introduced by Roads Minister Robert Goodwill as part of a package of measures to get rid of unnecessary red tape. Goodwill has also changed SORN rules, with motorists required to tell the DVLA just once when they declare their vehicle off the road. Currently, motorists who make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) have to renew it every year.

“We want to make it as easy as possible for motorists to access government services,”


“We want to make it as easy as possible for motorists to access government services,” said Roads Minister, Robert Goodwill.

“Getting rid of needless bits of paper, making changes to free up motorists’ time, while saving money for the taxpayer, is all part of our commitment to get rid of unnecessary red tape.”

Drivers and owners can check their vehicle is on the Motor Insurance Database by visiting: www.askMID.com



John Nygate    on 17 December 2013

Does this apply if I obtain my tax disc from the Post Office with the log book?

NickB    on 18 December 2013

I was told of this helpful change by my insurance company, but the DVLA website specifically states they are still required, despite being amended in Nov 13. Has anyone told the poor Post Office staff in the middle of the Christmas rush, when I want to tax a car on Friday morning?

   on 25 January 2017

going to buy a new car, 1) grab the log book green slip
2) MOT
3) POST OFFICE with 1 & 2 CAR TAX

Add a comment


Ask Honest John

Value my car