TAXING A CAR YOU HAVE BOUGHT: How do I legally drive home a car I have bought privately?


You need to both insure and tax the car, which you can do online.. This is the official version:

"From 1 October 2014, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle. You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0300 123 4321.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch. DVLA is unable to check the vehicle insurance details for new keepers in Northern Ireland online or by phone. If you’re a Northern Ireland new keeper, you will need to tax at a Post Office® branch that deals with vehicle tax.

It is a legal requirement for all UK drivers to have motor insurance in place before using a vehicle on a public road. In full with the necessary links here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes


Value my car