My insurance was unfairly voided - how do I get this removed from my record?

I received a custodial sentence of 40 months in 2009. My sentence expired in 2013 and I took car insurance out. I said I had no outstanding convictions but now, 1.5 years later, my insurer contacted me saying I wasn't truthful when I took my policy out. They said I should have declared it to them, which I genuinely didn't know. Then they said it was innocent and gave me a full refund, but still voided my insurance. I'm now finding it very difficult to get insurance. Is there anyway I can get this removed from my record?

Asked on 5 January 2018 by JOHN COWAN

Answered by Tim Kelly
You need to raise a complaint and take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service, you cannot be penalised for spent convictions. It comes under the Equalities Act.
Similar questions
My son passed his test in July 2017 and he got insurance in his own name with Go Girl (Sabre) at £1550 per year for his 2012 Vauxhal Corsa 1.2. Unfortunately he collided with another car just before Christmas...
While sorting out insurance for my new car, I've been informed by my new insurer that there's a claim on my insurance for an incident that was reported on the 17 March 2017. There was an incident in a...
I renewed my insurance on 118 October through Sainsbury's insurance and paid for the policy in full. However, as to yet, my details do not show up on MID. I have contacted Sainsbury's insurance every two...

Value my car