Do I have to insure my car even though it's just parked outside my house for the forseeable future?

My vehicle is parked on the road outside my house when not in use. I'm visiting my daughter in Australia soon and expect to be out of the country for approximately five months. I have tax and MoT on the vehicle for another ten months, so both the tax and MoT will be current when I return. My insurance is due for renewal just under a month after I leave the country. The vehicle will not be used during my absence. Does the law still require me to insure the vehicle just to park it on the road outside my house while I'm out of the country?

Asked on 21 November 2017 by David Pidcott

Answered by Tim Kelly
Yes, the vehicle must be continually insured at all times - unless it's put on SORN and is taken off the road. It's an offence under the Road Traffic Act to have an uninsured vehicle on a public road.
Similar questions
A family bought a property nearby and they obviously buy and sell cars from it. I've seen cars from the lot with adverts in the windows and they park them in the high street and drop them back later. They've...
I declared my car SORN during Covid as I was working from home. Its MoT also ran. Now, I want to tax it and do an MoT. But I can't tax it without an MoT, how can I get an MoT done?
My MoT will expire in a month but I am outside the UK and unable to return in time. The car is parked in a private garage and insured and taxed. Do I need to declare it SORN or can I leave it as is until...

Value my car