Our neighbour hit our car quite badly and won't pay for repairs - what can we do?

We just brought a new car and our old car is parked on our driveway, which we share with our neighbour. I've switched the insurance to the new car as we are selling the old one. Our neighbour has hit the uninsured car quite badly, we were told by another neighbour that it happened and they saw him drive off. When we approached him, he got verbally aggressive. What do we need to do to get him to pay for the repair work?

Asked on 27 October 2017 by Daisy May

Answered by Tim Kelly
You need to contact the police and report him for leaving the scene of an incident without leaving his details. This is a breach of the Road Rraffic Act 1988, section 170: www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

You can find out his insurance company, using the Motor Insurance Database, and contact them directly. You can do that here: ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Alternatively, find a good FCA/CMR regulated accident management company, or a solicitor, and ask them to pursue the claim on your behalf.
Similar questions
While parked on the street, our car received damage to the rear light and bodywork but no details were left of the offending vehicle. Our insurance policy does not have no claims protection and the excess...
I had a crash over Christmas, luckily I wasn't at fault. He hit me from behind at a roundabout, causing minor damage to my bumper. We exchanged details and agreed not to claim via insurance, but that he'll...
Whilst my 2002 Mercedes-Benz E-Class was parked at the garage today, a van from the business next door smacked its door into my car. I have all the insurance details and they have already alerted their...

Value my car