Our car was damaged and no details were left - should we claim on our insurance?

While parked on the street, our car received damage to the rear light and bodywork but no details were left of the offending vehicle. Our insurance policy does not have no claims protection and the excess for is £250. We've got a quote to repair the car, which is £650. Would it be cheaper to not claim, so we could keep our no claims discount (currently 15 years) and avoid the insurance premium going up.

Asked on 25 September 2017 by Steven

I wouldn't claim through my insurer, I would pay it myself. Though you could try claiming via the Motor Insurer's Bureau (MIB) for untraced drivers: www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-.../