Our car was damaged and no details were left - should we claim on our insurance?

While parked on the street, our car received damage to the rear light and bodywork but no details were left of the offending vehicle. Our insurance policy does not have no claims protection and the excess for is £250. We've got a quote to repair the car, which is £650. Would it be cheaper to not claim, so we could keep our no claims discount (currently 15 years) and avoid the insurance premium going up.

Asked on 25 September 2017 by Steven

Answered by Tim Kelly
I wouldn't claim through my insurer, I would pay it myself. Though you could try claiming via the Motor Insurer's Bureau (MIB) for untraced drivers: www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-.../
Similar questions
A school bus reversed into my sister's car while she was dropping off her grandchildren at school. She sounded her horn before the collision but the driver then drove off. While still in a state of shock,...
I contacted my insurers to inquire about getting some vandalism repaired on my Range Rover, but it turned out the excess on my policy (which also has protected NCB) was more than the cost of repairs so...
My wife recently changed her car from a Land Rover Freelander, worth £2000 and insurance group 23, to a Renault Clio, worth £2000 and insurance group 9. When I changed the vehicle on our Admiral insurance...

Ask Honest John

Value my car