Enter Honest John's Kit Competition An awesome prize is up for grabs every week | No thanks

Our new Jaguar XE is faulty - what do we do if the dealer won't accept our rejection within 30 days?

Do you know if there is a problem with the new Jaguar XE petrol Ingenium engine when coupled with the auto gearbox? Our new model lurches when going down through the lower gears. At first, the dealer agreed there was a fault and attempted a repair, but then said "all the petrol ones do that" - as if that makes it alright. We rejected the car within 30 days, which the head of the business initially verbally agreed to - but after the 30 days he said Jaguar must agree as they will not allow a rejection without Jaguar’s agreement. They will not put anything in writing.

Asked on 13 October 2017 by Terry Johnston

Firstly, if a supplier has sold you a product that turns out to be unsatisfactory, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you the statutory right to reject it outright within 30 days. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Jaguar. Your legal right of rejection is against the supplier. He may then reject it to Jaguar, but whether Jaguar accepts it or not is his problem, not yours. That said, this is our first report of any problems at all with the Ingenium 2.0 petrol engine attached to the 8-speed ZF automatic transmission.