How can I legally travel and drive abroad with no fixed UK address?

My husband and I plan to sell our house, bank most of the money and buy a camper van, travel in Greece/Europe for about six months before returning to the UK and buying a new home. How can we stay legal - and insured - if we don't have a permanent UK address? Obviously, we can buy and insure the van before we leave but would things still be valid if we didn't notify anyone we'd sold the property?

Asked on 26 May 2017 by Francesca Peterson

Answered by Tim Kelly
In short, doing it that way isn't legal. Technically the policy would not be valid. What I would do is have a good chat with a broker and ask them to provide a policy that would allow you to do it with no permanent address. The alternative is to change your place of residence and change your electoral role to that of a friend or relative.
Similar questions
I has a 20 years no-claims record before moving to New Zealand. I have a 10 years no-claims record in New Zealand. Is it true that if I move back to the UK I will be back to square one in terms of no-claims...
I will be returning to the UK soon. Having only rented cars in the UK since 2008, what would be the best way to get back into the UK insurance market? I've had no claims when using insurance in other countries.
I've been living in Australia for the last three and half years. I'm 48 years old and have had eight years no claims bonus, but I've spoken to an insurance company and they have advised me that my no claims...

Ask Honest John

Value my car