A driver admitted to damaging my daughter's car - who has first right to repair it?

A driver reversed into my daughter's Land Rover Discovery 4 and confessed. Who has first right to repair the damage: the guilty driver, my daughter or her insurer?

Asked on 21 March 2017 by hector maclean

Answered by Tim Kelly
Any claim where you're the injured party is covered under "tort" law. Your daughter's entitlements to the claim are covered here fenchurchlaw.co.uk/coles-v-hetherton-implications-.../ The car is your daughter's car, so she has the right to say what happens to it. She can either go through her own insurer, where she is then bound by contract, but can complain to the Financial Ombudsman services if not happy. She has different entitlements under tort law to contract. The above case law explains and she may be better served going through an accident management company. Should she need to complain about their service she can complain to the Legal Ombudsman Service. Should she deal directly with the at fault insurer, there is no system in place for redress should she not be happy.
Similar questions
I have been unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident. My Ferrari has an agreed value over £200,000 and repairs are circa £90,000 - however I don't want it repairing. I will not have confidence...
A post van pulled out in front of me whilst I was driving my coach. I had to stop abruptly, but it was in a narrow road. When she then proceeded to pass me, she scraped the side of my coach. Repairs have...
Both doors were replaced on our 2013 Ford C Max and now the alarm keeps going off at night. We get error messages for child lock malfunction, service required, drivers back door open (then the door jams...
Related models
Imperious on and off-road, hugely practical, more desirable than the current Discovery, refined and high-quality interior.

Value my car