Is the autobox on the new Renaukt Kadjar typical of all automatics?

I'm looking at a new Renault Kadjar 1.5 diesel automatic. During a test drive, I accelerated hard and the revs were quite high in relation to the speed. The salesman assured me this was normal for auto boxes as they couldn't change up as quick as I was accelerating. Is this EDC auto box typical of autos? If there are smoother boxes out there please advise. Any advise on choosing a mid size SUV with smooth auto box would also be appreciated.

Asked on 4 February 2017 by tartlet

The EDC is Renault's equivalent of the 6-speed wet clutch VAG DSG or Ford Powershift. I've driven it in the Scenic and more recently in the Dacia Duster with the same engine as the Kadjar. One of my colleagues has a Kadjar 1.5 DCI EDC and is very happy with it. I don't have a disquieting number of complaints about it, as I do have of the VAG DSG. Three alternatives are the Suzuki Vitara S 1.4 T BoosterJet 6-speed torque converter auto, the Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 110 EAT6 compact torque converter auto or the new Peugeot 3008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 compact torque converter auto.