Is it safe to buy GAP insurance from a smaller broker for my Land Rover?

When researching GAP insurance I came across www.ALA.co.uk on your website. I got a quote from the link and it turned out far cheaper than Land Rover, with what appeared to be similar T&Cs. I have been advised by my Land Rover dealer to steer clear of small brokers selling cheap GAP insurance. Land Rover wants a premium of £968 for a 3-year cover. ALA wants £264. What is your position on this subject?

Asked on 16 November 2013 by AB, via email

Let’s see now. £968 minus £264 is £704 extra commission for the Land Rover dealer and his salesmen over the standard insurance broker commission of about 10 per cent. I wonder whether that could be the reason why they are so keen to sell it to you?