How do I insure my Ford Escort XR3i that has had an RS Turbo engine fitted?

What is the correct way to insure a Ford Escort XR3i which has had an engine from an Escort RS Turbo fitted to it?

Asked on 17 March 2023 by Duncan Atherton

Answered by David Ross
For a car with extensive modifications such as yours, the best option is to go to an insurer that specialises in modified cars. Companies such as these are used to dealing with non-standard cars and they will ask you to outline all the modifications made in order to provide a more accurate valuation and a quote for your insurance premium. It's important to be completely honest in your dealings with the insurers, as any failure to declare modifications can mean your policy is invalid.

We would recommend companies such as Performance Direct or Adrian Flux as a good starting point.
Similar questions
Does my insurance company need to be told if I change the tyres on my BMW 6 Series from runflats to standard ones? Would this affect the cost?
I have just ordered a new Toyota Yaris Cross for expected delivery early next year. We have ordered a factory fit tow bar/tow ball kit in order to carry a cycle carrier. Since the tow bar is factory fitted...
You mentioned that, for insurance purposes, fitting a hard wired dashcam could count as a vehicle modification. If unannounced, it could then invalidate car insurance. Is it not time that insurance companies...
Related models
Simple and stylish, a cheap classic car, not a bad handler

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer