My insurer won't cover me at my new address. Can they cancel the policy and charge a huge fee?

I recently moved house. My insurance broker has told me that they will no longer insure my car from the new address. It is a small, very low crime area in a village. They want me to cancel the policy and pay a huge penalty charge. Can they do that?

Asked on 9 April 2020 by Tony Tombling

Answered by Tim Kelly
The cancellation fee should always be a reasonable amount, i.e. around £40-50 maximum. If they try to charge more, raise a complaint with them and then escalate to the Financial Ombudsman. Identify the current insurer that your broker has insured you through, the contact that insurer directly if you can. If not, contact another broker and see if they use that underwriter. Request for a quote on the new postcode with the same insurer. If they provide a quote with the same underwriter, you can go back to the old broker and advise them they are incorrect as the current insurer will insure you. The policy does not need to be cancelled and only a small administration fee should be charged.
Tags: insurance
Similar questions
My friend was visiting from the US and agreed to do some errands for me driving my car. He said he has 'DOC' coverage, meaning his insurance covers him to drive other people's cars. He then got two tickets...
My son took his Dacia Duster in for its first service and was given a loan car. There was a fault on his car and a replacement part is needed but it is not known when this will be available in the UK....
I'm insured fully comprehensive. My father-in-law has a van with business insurance. Can I borrow the van or even drive the van under my insurance? My insurance states that I can drive other vehicles....

Value my car