I bought a used car in November and now the cambelt has gone - where do I stand?

I bought a car in November 2019 but didn't receive a three-month warranty paperwork from the used car dealer. The engine was making a ticking noise but the dealer just said it was the turbo. Since then the car has packed up and I believe the cambelt had gone. The dealer is refusing to repair the car. I have been in touch with trading standards. Where do I stand?

Generally, the dealer can be held liable for any faults that develop within the first six months. This is because they are deemed to be present or developing at the time of sale. Tell the dealer you want a refund or you will get legal advice and sue the business via the small claims court.

For your consumer rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-cons.../

Regards,

Dan