A trader won't compensate me for missing extras - do I have legal recourse?

My used car was advertised and sold to me as having metallic paint and climate control. Three months on, I've discover that it has neither. I took your advice and requested that the trader compensate me for a fair percentage of the cost of these factory options to reflect my loss, but he is saying I inspected the car at the time and should have checked everything first. I did verbally check these items with him before purchasing but there is no record of this, except that the advert lists them out. I'm left with a car that is worth less and less desirable come resale time. What, if anything, can I do?

He's wrong. The law does not expect a private buyer to have the technical expertise and skill to spot such things. If he described it as metallic black and it isn't he has to compensate you proportionately and if he refuses, take it to Small Claims: www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview/ Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/