In the UK you insure the driver, in Spain you insure the car - which method is better?

In the UK you insure the driver, in Spain you insure the car that can be driven by any qualifying driver over 25. What are the consequences of making a claim on either method? Spanish insurance is much cheaper and includes compulsory breakdown recovery.

Asked on 24 June 2019 by Graham Johnson

Answered by Tim Kelly
The consequences of making a claim are identical (as far as I know) with either method, Spain has to comply with the same exact EU law as we do. I do not have any knowledge of how the policies are sold or administered in Spain, so would not be able to give more of an explanation more than that.
Tags: insurance
Similar questions
My insurance on one car is due to renew shortly. It's a three-year fixed price deal. In January, I made a claim on my other car (mouse damage to engine wiring) with the same insurance company. I'm the...
I've seen a motorhome that has sustained flood damage but has been put down as a Cat B write off. There is no structural damage whatsoever. Can I get this overturned?
Do you have a list of good car insurers? My premium has just been increased by 20% - which I think is rather unreasonable. No doubt you know of other insurance companies who are not quite so expensive.

Ask Honest John

Value my car