In the UK you insure the driver, in Spain you insure the car - which method is better?

In the UK you insure the driver, in Spain you insure the car that can be driven by any qualifying driver over 25. What are the consequences of making a claim on either method? Spanish insurance is much cheaper and includes compulsory breakdown recovery.

Asked on 24 June 2019 by Graham Johnson

The consequences of making a claim are identical (as far as I know) with either method, Spain has to comply with the same exact EU law as we do. I do not have any knowledge of how the policies are sold or administered in Spain, so would not be able to give more of an explanation more than that.
Tags: insurance