Can a Cat B write off legally be allowed on the road?

I have been offered a cheap car but the seller has said it was once an insurance write off. A quick check shows it was a Cat B write off in 2008. Everything I read says a Cat B can only be sold for parts but this one has been on the road since 2008 and taxed, MOT'd and insured every year since then. Will I get a log book back if I register it in my name?

Asked on 17 December 2018 by David Stafford

Answered by Tim Kelly
No you won't and it should not be on the road. If he has owned the vehicle since then, he has by way of a loop hole got round this by keeping the old V5C. If you send it off, the DVLA should not return it.
Similar questions
My insurer are insisting on returning my Cat B write off to me and not giving me the option to refuse the 'buy back'. I have received a settlement figure, minus the salvage value. Is this correct? I cannot...
My partner was entering a car park when the car in front off him suddenly stopped and reversed into our car (our car was stationary). There is no visible damage except now the bonnet latch won't close...
Have insurance write-off categories changed?


Value my car