My insurer is forcing me to accept a Cat B write off - can they do this?

My insurer are insisting on returning my Cat B write off to me and not giving me the option to refuse the 'buy back'. I have received a settlement figure, minus the salvage value. Is this correct? I cannot use a Cat B vehicle, nor do I have the space to store it, or the skills/tools to break it down into parts. Should I be forced to accept it back?

Asked on 18 December 2017 by Jayjay James

Answered by Tim Kelly
No, they cannot force the salvage back on you. When your vehicle is a "total loss" they are providing payment for the market value of the vehicle, that vehicle then becomes their property. Are you dealing with your insurer? Or an accident management company? Or an at fault insurer directly? Raise a complaint with them then escalate to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Similar questions
I have been offered a cheap car but the seller has said it was once an insurance write off. A quick check shows it was a Cat B write off in 2008. Everything I read says a Cat B can only be sold for parts...
I've seen a motorhome that has sustained flood damage but has been put down as a Cat B write off. There is no structural damage whatsoever. Can I get this overturned?
My car was involved in an accident in 2007. The insurance did not pay out because I didn't disclose that I once had a conviction for driving uninsured. It was classified as a Category B write off. I have...

Value my car