I reversed into a car causing minor damage - should I pay for the repair myself or go through my insurance company?

I bumped into a car reversing out of a parking space. The owner has been quoted £485 (including VAT) for repairs. My car has a few scratches on the corner of the bumper while the other car has slight damage to the rear door panel. At this stage insurers are not involved although I have notified mine. Should I just pay up and move on?

Asked on 29 October 2018 by Marin Hydes

If you do, make sure you have a written agreement where the other party accepts payment as "full and final settlement" and make sure it is witnessed and signed. If you think it is economically viable to pay for it yourself, in your situation I would. Tell your insurer that you have notified them for information purpose only and are not making a claim. If you do pay for it yourself, notify your insurer and send them the above document.