I've made an insurance claim and the insurers are deducting a proportionality amount - what does this mean?

I've made an insurance claim and the insurers are deducting 37.46% as a proportionality amount. What is this please?

Asked on 23 October 2018 by

This means you have not insured yourself of the vehicle correctly. It sounds like an issue of "non disclosure". You can either pay the full premium at what it would have cost had they have known about the non disclosure to receive full settlement. Or, as they have done here, they are paying proportional settlement based on the premium paid and the information you provided.