Can I transfer the NCB I've acquired while living abroad to an insurance policy in the UK?

I've lived in France for 15 years. I'm returning to the UK on a permanent basis soon though. I have a full No Claims Bonus in France, but insuring my 2005 Ford Fiesta will apparently cost £565. This seems high. Can you suggest how to get lower quotes?

Asked on 21 May 2018 by L C Bell

Answered by Tim Kelly
If you're a non-UK resident, you will have to start from scratch. But if you're insured in France by an insurer that also exists in the UK, I would call them up and ask if they can transfer your NCB. Motor Insurance in the UK is expensive in general. Without knowing what your vehicles are exactly, I'd say anything less than a grand is the norm. You are also seen as being a greater risk over here because you've spent the last 15 years driving on the opposite side of the road.
Similar questions
Is there any benefit in paying extra for NCD protection when the insurer says that your insurance premium will rise if you make a claim? Both my wife and I have over 15 years NCD, and if we have a claim...
Is the additional cost of NCD protection worth it given that I have nine years NCD?
Six years ago my son and I had full no claims on our cars, but when I got married my husband talked us into taking multi-car insurance out with Admiral. We were assured that we would all still build up...


Value my car