Expensive insurance - hillman
According to the Sun newspaper today some fellow named Rooney is being ripped off by the insurance companies.
He has seven cars:
BMW 645i insurance £16000 p.a.
BMW X5, £16000 p.a.
Merc. SLK £16000 p.a.
Cadillac Escalade £18000 p.a.
Audi TT £12000 p.a.
Chrysler V8 £16000 p.a.
Streetka Only £7000 p.a.

Bit steep, hey!!! Presumably, he can only drive one at a time.
Expensive insurance - blue_haddock
Yes it is steep but when you work it out in relation to the amount he is on per week it's chicken feed.

It works out to about 100k per year for all his cars so thats probably about 2 weeks of his wages - if i told our apprentice mechanic he could insure his little starlet for the equivalent of two weeks wages he'd snatch my hand off.

Expensive insurance - MichaelR
My car insurance is probably the equivilent of 2-3 months wages. Sounds like a bargain price for Rooney.
Expensive insurance - Retro
I bet they lose money on that deal.

I used to insure expensive people and cars and celebs and sportsman did the most ridiculous things.

My favourite was a sportsman that paid £20 to put his mate on his Ferrari as a temp driver for a day. His "mate" wrote it off! 70K payout....oops.

Another one was when a "supermodel" got annoyed and threw her phone. It hit the chauffeur on the head. When he turned around to have a go, she glared at him and told him to "pick up her f***ing phone"....nice. No accident that time, but they made up for it a month later.

Also people were so reluctant to admit they were in any way to blame for an accident even when it makes no difference, it was daft. The amount of cars that were totalled by people avoiding a fox/dog/cat etc with no one else involved and at about 11.00 at night (pubs turfing out time) was simply unbelievable.
Expensive insurance - Robin Reliant
Looking at the figures, would you accept £16000 from a teenager to gaurantee all his risks for a year on a BMW 645i? I wouldn't!
Expensive insurance - John Basnett
It seems quite cheap to me. A friend of mine pays £60k a year to insure 3 cars. He's 20 and the cars are a Vanquish, M3 convertible and a Mini Cooper S convertible!
Expensive insurance - Adam {P}
I'm...um....not in a job at the minute but if I still were, to insure my wonderfully extravagant Ford Focus, it would be 7 months wages.

What did my student loan go on?

Guess.
--
Adam
Expensive insurance - PhilDews
It seems in line with my insurance - 2wks salary after tax on a flash car...

Golf GTTDI!!

On a related note, a footballer I knew was paying £5000 a year back in 1998 on a Calibra (think it was the 4x4 turbo or something!). He was of premiership quality, but £5000pa for a VAUXHALL???
Expensive insurance - lyntonsmith
How can a 20 yr old afford a vanquish, M3 softtop and a cooper?

Normally sportsmen have about a 80% loading on their policy due to the high potential risk, and high payouts in teh event of an injury. Most of the cars are group 17+ which again will cause a loading.

Expensive insurance - frmarcus
Anyone wanting the best deals available on car insurance should use these two sites:

www.confused.com
www.moneysupermarket.co.uk

Between them they cover almost all online providers and provide a list of quotes quickly and easily. Certainly worthwhile!
frmarcus