What's the best way for an Australian to get UK car insurance?

My daughter's partner has moved here from Australia and initially could only obtain car insurance on a monthly basis. The insurance company has now terminated his cover after six months. He has handed in his Australian licence and obtained a UK license, and he had no penalties or claims in Australia. He hasn't had any accidents here or any reason not to be insured. He has driven for well over 20 years accident free. Would you know of any companies who provide insurance for someone in this situation?

Asked on 4 April 2018 by William

Answered by Tim Kelly
He needs to start from scratch. He must be a UK resident and have a UK license, with these there should be no reason why he cannot obtain cover. He won't be able to use any past history and will have to accrue no claims to reduce his premium though.The best way forward is to use a broker or go directly to insurers like Aviva, Axa and DirectLine.
Tags: insurance
Similar questions
Do you have a list of good car insurers? My premium has just been increased by 20% - which I think is rather unreasonable. No doubt you know of other insurance companies who are not quite so expensive.
My insurance on one car is due to renew shortly. It's a three-year fixed price deal. In January, I made a claim on my other car (mouse damage to engine wiring) with the same insurance company. I'm the...
A family bought a property nearby and they obviously buy and sell cars from it. I've seen cars from the lot with adverts in the windows and they park them in the high street and drop them back later. They've...

Ask Honest John

Value my car