I want to use a repairer that isn't insurer approved - can I do this without paying extra?

I recently damaged the front bumper on my brand new car and it needs replacing. Aviva want me to use their recommend repair centre, but they have bad reviews for their work quality. I want to use an alternative repair centre, which I've used before, who carry out top quality work. However, they're not an approved Aviva repair centre. Aviva inform me if I use an alternative repairer I will be charged an extra £200 on top of my standard excess. Can they do this?

Asked on 29 January 2018 by verde

They can try to do it and they will advise it's in the contract. Raise a complaint with them and say that the term is a breach of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, which is now under the 2015 Consumer Act. Advise that the term causes financial determent to you by seeking to restrict your legal entitlement to use your own repairer. This may will be a breach of the 2002 Enterprise Act section 8 on unfair commercial practices. It may also be a breach of the FCA regulations under UNFCOG (www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/UNFCOG/1/?view=ch...r) and RPPD (www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/RPPD/link/?view=c...r). Raise a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service for this as well. This will cost Aviva £500. I suggest everyone do this because if the insurer continues to carry out this shady practice, I think it only appropriate that people express their dissatisfaction.