I'm buying a car which has a previous insurance claim made on it - how can I check what the claim was for?

I'm in the process of buying a secondhand vehicle. When I got an insurance quote I was told that there had been a previous no fault insurance claim for the vehicle. Is there any way that I could find out what the claim was for, i.e. what damage was done to the car?

Asked on 10 January 2018 by Tommt T

Due to data protection, insurers will not release that information to you. I would suggest you have the vehicle inspected by a Qualified Institute of Automotive Engineer Assessor's Engineer. They should be able to ascertain what work may have been carried out. You can contact them here: www.iaea-online.org