I caused damage to a van and my excess is very high - should I cover the repair costs myself?

Today, as I pulled out of a side road onto a main road, I hit a van. The van was indicating left and I assumed he would turn left, but he he carried straight on and I hit him. My insurance excess is £1000. I didn't realise it was this high, but my insurers say I should have checked the policy. I'm hoping the damage isn't anywhere near £1000 though. Should I take it to a local garage and pay to get it fixed myself as my insurer aren't going to pay unless it 's over £1000 anyway?

Asked on 27 November 2017 by vivala

Answered by Tim Kelly
I would certainly go and get a few quotes first. Then at least you know where you stand. If the quote provided is more than £1000, advise your insurer. Ask any of the repairers whether it would be possible for you to source the parts, or to use secondhand parts to reduce the cost.
Similar questions
My wife grazed a BMW while pulling out of a very tight parking spot at a BMW garage. She thought it was very minor and might even just polish out. The same day, a quote came through from BMW at £1600 -...
I hit a car when trying to reverse out of a confined space. I offered to pay for the damage without going through my insurance company as I envisaged the repair would only be £100 - £200 max. But the third...
My wife’s car was struck by a metal object which came from an open lorry going in the opposite direction. The damage was estimated at £1600. We contacted the police but there was no CCTV coverage. Our...

Ask Honest John

Value my car