My son and his Australian wife are visiting for a month - how do we get them insured on my car?

My son, with British passport, and his wife, with Australian passport and driving licence, are visiting the UK in December. The plan was for them to use my vehicle while they are here but my insurer will only cover them for two weeks, and will double the charge because one of them is holding an Australian licence. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them covered for the full month?

Asked on 8 November 2017 by Greybeard Eccosse

Answered by Tim Kelly
You have a couple of options. What you could do is cover for two weeks, take a day off, and then recover again for two weeks. Most insurers should not have an issue with this. Depends on the insurer. The alternative is stand alone insurance cover on your vehicle from another insurer.
Similar questions
Last year someone bumped into the back of my car. Initially, he wanted to process a claim, so I informed my insurer, but he then decided not to claim. He paid me for the damage and no claim to any insurance...
My wife will soon be having an operation to remove a small tumour in her head. The oncologist said she will have to stop driving for a year and she must tell the DVLA. We both have a car and have added...
In December, our car was showered in gravel from a lorry that sped by. Our windscreen was cracked and the stones left my driver door and bonnet covered in stone chips. My insurer, LV, are treating this...

Ask Honest John

Value my car