My Aston Martin Vantage V8 was ruined by a garage I was using to sell it - where do I stand?

I was trying to sell my Aston Martin Vantage V8 4.7 through a garage who offered a sale or return deal, taking a commission if the vehicle was sold. Five weeks and 300 miles later, only two prospective buyers had test driven the vehicle. On the same day that the car was due to be sold, I was phoned to say that the engine of my car had 'blown up'. They said it was most likely bottom end or top end or valve problem causing a severe knocking noise. Listening to the video most experts believe the engine is toast. Do I have any possibility of recouping the estimated £13,000 for a reconditioned engine? The only contract we had was a message stating that they would try to sell the vehicle and take a commission if they did.

Asked on 21 July 2017 by Tim Griffiths

That makes it more difficult to argue. Nevertheless, if you suspect negligence on their part or on the part of someone they allowed to "test drive" the car, you may still have a case against them. If they don't cough up out of court, then remember that taking this case to the County Court could cost you as much as the reconditioned engine, with no guarantee either of a judgement in your favour or of the garage complying with the judgement. Get a specialist solicitor onto it, with experience of such cases. Try emailing: aquirk@clarkslegal.com or try www.bridgemcfarland.co.uk