A Ford Fiesta we bought three months ago now needs a new engine - are we due a refund?

My daughter bought a Ford Fiesta three months ago from Peter Vardy. The warranty for the car is with Ford. A month ago, it broke down and my daughter had it taken to a Ford garage. They say it needs a new engine, which costs £5000, and the warranty is void because of the previous owner. We went back to the dealer, but they are refusing to pick the car up and repair it. What can we do? Are we within our rights to ask for a refund, or get a replacement car?

Asked on 1 October 2017 by Linda

In a word, yes. If you bought the car three months ago and you didn't do anything stupid such as run it out of oil, the dealer who sold the car to you is liable either to repair it or to refund you with the car's current market value. He is liable for any fault that could have been present or developing on the date you purchased it for six months from that date. What is is? A Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost? Did the degas pipe fail and lose the engine coolant? See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/