Is the engine oil light coming on a serious concern?

I purchased a 2008 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 recently. Today it drove fine, but after an hour of driving I stopped to go to the shop and when I came back and started it the engine oil light came on for a minute and disappeared. So far it hasn't come back on. What could this be? Is it serious?

Asked on 6 June 2017 by Maja

The engine oil light signifies a lack of oil pressure. Could be because the sump strainer is blocked with sludge. Could be the oil pump is failing. Could be the piston rings are worn. This is serious. I would use The Consumer Rights Act 2015 to back the car on the dealer. If he refuses to take it back and refund your money, send a letter to him by recorded delivery stating your disquiet and that you still intend to take the matter to small claims, then do exactly that. See: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/