Car insurance needed for USA

I am arranging a house and car swap for summer 2016 to Colorado. USA car insurance is not like UK so how can I ensure I am fully covered when driving this 'swapped' car in the Colorado? Do I need elements of car insurance over and above that which the US resident 'swapper' has for his car in the US?

Asked on 29 August 2015 by CRGG

Answered by Honest John
Legally, no. But to protect yourself, yes. You need all kinds of liability insurance in case you have an 'incident' and someone brings a multi-million dollar lawsuit against you. But your real problem will be in the UK where is it virtually impossible to secure legally compusory car insurance for your US guests at anything approaching a reasonable rate. Try: But expect to pay maybe £300 for a month's insurance.
Similar questions
If I get a fixed penalty abroad, i.e. in Spain for 150 Euros for 68kmh in a 60kmh limit, are the points put on my UK licence? I assume I would need to tell my UK insurer.
I've been fined 45 Euros for speeding in France. Do I need to tell my insurer? If so, will my insurance costs rise? Will the fact that I don't have any points, or UK driving convictions, influence the...
I received a €45 fine in Calais when I triggered a speed camera. I paid this immediately on receiving the notification through the post and did not incur any points on my licence. During a conversation...

Value my car