Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks

My son's Swiss-registered Volkswagen Multivan will be staying in the UK for some time - should it be registered with the DVLA?

My son currently lives in Bern and runs a Swiss-registered Volkswagen Multivan. He intends to return with his family to the UK in July, although will remain resident himself in Switzerland, commuting to the UK each weekend. The Volkswagen Multivan will be in the UK for the foreseeable future. Must he re-register the vehicle in the UK and, if so, are you able to advise upon procedures to be undertaken and within what time frame?

Asked on 28 May 2010 by johni

Answered by Dan Harrison
If the car is staying in the UK for more than six months, then it must be registered with the DVLA. All the details you need should be here:
Similar questions
My brother bought a brand new Renault Megane from a Renault dealership in March 2008. Unbeknown to him this car was first registered on 1 August 2007 in Cyprus and was brought back to the UK, then sold...
I have just passed my driving test (I'm 37, an ex-biker) and will be emigrating to Sweden in October for over a year. I would like to know if there are any considerations regarding owning a car abroad?...
I have a trailer with a weight of 600kg unladen and 2500kg laden that I want to register in Bulgaria. The authorities there will only accept a V5 or similar as proof of ownership. The DVLA just keeps sending...

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car