I'm moving to Sweden - can I buy a car in the UK and drive it there?

I have just passed my driving test (I'm 37, an ex-biker) and will be emigrating to Sweden in October for over a year. I would like to know if there are any considerations regarding owning a car abroad? I am planning on buying a secondhand car here in the UK (a 10-year-old Volvo V40/70 or similar), and driving it there. What considerations and potential issues are there regarding owning a UK-registered car and insuring it here? Would it be better, or possible even, to insure a UK registered car in Sweden with a Swedish company? Would there be significant cost differences or any other issues?

Asked on 26 August 2010 by scratchit73

Answered by Honest John
You can't run a UK-registered car in another EU country for more than six months. Insurance will be difficult, and if you live there for six months or more you will also have to exchange your driver's licence for a Swedish one.
Similar questions
My son currently lives in Bern and runs a Swiss-registered Volkswagen Multivan. He intends to return with his family to the UK in July, although will remain resident himself in Switzerland, commuting to...
A friend of mine has moved to Spain for the summer. He generously invited me to join him for a week and we were discussing his car. It's British registered and fully legal in England. He reckons that he...
Early next month I will be driving through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France. I will be in a 2017 BMW X3. I have seen a lot of confusing and sometimes contradictory information on what I will need...

Ask Honest John Right column

Value my car