What items do I need to carry in my car to be legally allowed to drive in Europe?

Early next month I will be driving through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France. I will be in a 2017 BMW X3. I have seen a lot of confusing and sometimes contradictory information on what I will need to carry in my car to be legal. Can you help, please?

Asked on 27 August 2018 by J.Smith

Answered by Honest John
You need right or downward dipping headlights. You need to carry high-vis vests inside the car for everyone in the car, two warning triangles, an insurance certificate and the original V5C registration document for the car. And for France and Germany you need emissions stickers for the car (you're unlikely to be affected by this with a newer car, but worth checking what Green Zones are in force each day: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/driving/2017-12/more-cle.../). You’re also mandated to carry a spare bulb kit for your vehicle in France as the French police deem it necessary to replace it there and then on the grounds of safety. Also be sure to check online for speed limits and common offences in the countries you plan to visit, preparation is the best way to avoid being caught out.

It's also worth reading this section in our dash cam advice guide if you plan to use a dash camera abroad. After all, it's illegal to use a dash cam in Luxembourg: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/dash-cam-buying-advice-guide/...d
Similar questions
I will be taking my 1972 Volkswagen Type 181 to Spain. When I bought the car it did not have any seatbelts fitted. I knew I didn't have to fit them but, for a bit of safety, I had lap belts fitted in the...
I'll be driving in France in October. Do the headlights on my 2017 Mitsubishi Oulander PHEV need masking?
Can the headlights be adjusted for European driving in a 2008 Citroen Berlingo Multispace?

Value my car